Re: State of the art in Emacs outlining?

From: Benjamin Rutt
Subject: Re: State of the art in Emacs outlining?
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:44:02 -0400

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
writes:

>> Thanks to you and Kai for your replies. The advice is sound -- learn
>> standard outlining first, and then worry about enhanced packages once I
>> figure out what else I need. My worry is that I already know what I
>> need: easier repositioning of items and trees (demoting/promoting),
>> which allout.el and others packages seem to promise. But really I'm just
>> guessing, so I'll be patient.
>
> The outline.el code in the CVS repository offers such functionality,
> although it might be a bit fragile.  I'd be interested to hear how
> well it works in practice for others than me.

I've tried it when editing LaTeX.  It seems to work well for promoting
and demoting \section, \subsection and \subsubsection under 'emacs -q'
using the builtin LaTeX mode.

However, it doesn't work quite right with AUCTeX.  Consider the
following test case for AUCTeX:

    \section{foo}

    \subsection{bar}

    \subsubsection{baz}

1) When I position the point anywhere on \subsubsection, M-x
outline-promote turns the line into:

    subsection{baz}

2) When I position the cursor on \section and issue M-x
   outline-demote, the line becomes

    subsection{foo}

In both cases, the opening backslash gets erased.  Hope this helps.
Oh, and I'm not quite using current CVS.  My outline.el is dated May
20, 2002 (don't know if that's current or not).
--
Benjamin