Re: Customizing faces...which method?

From: Peter Boettcher
Subject: Re: Customizing faces...which method?
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 14:44:37 -0400

"Moore, Mathew L" <MooreML@BATTELLE.ORG> writes:

> What is the "proper" way for customizing font-lock face attributes in the
> initialization file?  There seems to be a bunch of ways to do it.
>
> I would like to set different foregrounds (colors) depending on whether the
> foreground is light or dark.  When I use the customize tool, it seems to
> ignore the value of frame-background-mode and sets the selected face
> attributes for all background states.
>
> So I've gone to hand editing the code right below the "do not edit or
> cut/paste" section that customize writes to my init file.
>
> Is there a better way to do this?  Every time I read the documentation on
> faces, my head spins a little.

I do face setting by hand, outside the customize section:

      (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-function-name-face "firebrick")
      (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-comment-face "red")
      (make-face-bold 'font-lock-comment-face)
      (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-string-face "mediumseagreen")
      (set-face-foreground 'font-lock-variable-name-face "darkgoldenrod")

--
Peter Boettcher
MIT Lincoln Laboratory