Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers

From: ken
Subject: Re: displaying the EUR-Sign in normal buffers
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:09:06 -0400 (EDT)

The octal for (the extended ASCII of) the Euro sign is 244.  So to get
it in emacs, do C-q 244 RETURN (or SPACE or whatever).  This works for
me.  I'm using 8859-1 encoding.

Yeah, you might have to do a search-and-replace on cut-n-pasted
documents, but it's better than using a crayon on your monitor.  :)

hth,
ken

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> at 16:34 (UTC-0400) on 7 Oct 2002:

= > If for example i insert an EUR sign (€) in Microsoft Word, copy it to the
= > clipboard and try to insert it into a normal Emacs-buffer (e.g. *scratch*)
= > then i get only \200.
=
= I actually accidentally just bumped into the answer:
= Your clipboard/word thing is encoded in codepage 1252 (an MS-only
= extension of latin-1) where the euro is available as char 128
= (i.e. 200 in octal).
= So you should try and set your interprogram coding system to cp1252.
= I'm not sure how to do that.  And I think that Emacs-21.2's support for
= cp1252 is incomplete.
=
=
=         Stefan