Re: How add one to column # on modeline (%c) so starts from _1_?

From: seberino
Subject: Re: How add one to column # on modeline (%c) so starts from _1_?
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:33:41 -0700

Thanks for the help!!!!!

I implemented your suggestion in my mode line def....

 (setq default-mode-line-format (list ""
                                 'mode-line-buffer-identification
                                 "     "
                                 (system-name)
                                 "     "
                                 '(:eval (format "%s" (+ (string-to-int "%c")
1)))
                                 "Line %l Col %c"))

Indeed the eval part delivers a "1".  The problem is that the "1" is
not updated as columnn number changes.... it just stays "1" for all
time....

What did you mean by "column-number-mode"??? Perhaps that would
solve problem of updating the eval line continuously????

Chris

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 10:39:57AM +0100, Victor Kirk wrote:

> > '(:eval "%c + 1")
>
> > The above will print "0 + 1" on the modeline when in the first column.
>
> This is because it thre result is a string which contains those characters.
> What you need to do is
>
>  o convert %c to an int  - (string-to-int "%c")
>  o add one to this value - (+ (string-to-int "%c") 1)
>  o Return the result as a string (format "%s" (+ (string-to-int "%c") 1))
>
> > How can I tell Emacs to evaluate the *addition* in quotes rather
> > than just interpret it as a /string/????
>
> Thus try
>
> (:eval (format "%s" (+ (string-to-int "%c") 1)))
>
> And don't forget to use column-number-mode!
>
> Vic
> --
>

> This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
> person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
> privileged and confidential. Copying or use by anybody else is not
> authorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender
> as soon as possible. The views expressed in this communication may not
> necessarily be the views held by Serco Integrated Transport.

_______________________________________

Dr. Christian Seberino
SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego
Code 2363