Re: How force evaluation of this string's math *before* print?....

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: How force evaluation of this string's math *before* print?....
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:24:50 +0200

seberino@spawar.navy.mil writes:

> I noticed that often the column number will *not* be updated with this
> suggestion.  For some reason, on some lines, the column number is not
> updated when I move right and left with the cursor until some event
> forces an update.  For example, when I change line numbers that seems
> to force an update of the column number.  Often pressing right/left
> arrow *does* effect an update of column number on modeline but not
> always.

I don't know any other solution than to turn on column-number-mode.

Exactly when Emacs updates the mode-line seems to be hard-wired in Emacs
and appears to depend on whether column-number-mode is turned on.

However, this will also display the zero-based column number (which you
probably don't want).