Re: Input of XML documents (input of unicode)

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: Input of XML documents (input of unicode)
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:47:48 +0900 (JST)

Torsten wrote:

> I've just compiled Emacs 21.2.1 on my Linux system.  I've
> used Emacs 20 for a rather long time now, and the most
> important reason for me to migrate would be better
> XML and unicode support.

You might want to try adding the TEI-Emacs package to your present
Emacs. The TEI package was developed precisely for the purpose of adding
enhanced XML and Unicode functionality to Emacs. It includes a wide range of W3C
DTDs for XML, XHTML, and HTML, in addition to XSLT output with debugging and
an array of style sheets. It also corrects the problem of non-display of
non-Western characters encoded in UTF-8. It does not, however, provide
anything special for character input. It is also a rather large package,
which you probably don't want to try downloading through a modem.

http://www.tei-c.org/Software

The package also solves the problem with the present SGML/XML functionality
wherein XML files are mistaken as SGML, and thus there are many incorrect
validation errors when trying to validate XML.

I am doing input of many non-ASCII characters using the abbreviation
function. I created a table that contains most of the characters I need in
Windows, and imported it into my .abbrev_defs file.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787