Re: Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"

From: ken
Subject: Re: Problem with ange-ftp "500 AUTH command not supported"
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:54:35 -0400 (EDT)

Check the archives of this list from ealier this month or last.  This
exact same question was very recently addressed.

--
AMD crashes?  See http://cleveland.lug.net/~ken/amd-problem/.

Spake Mark Landreville at 11:03 (UTC-0700) on Sun, 13 Oct 2002:

= Hello:
=
= I am using emacs 20.7 on a Linux Mandrake 8.1 system.  I have so far
= been unsuccessful at editing files over FTP on my remote account.  I
= recieve the following output:
=
= ftp> open ftp.eskimo.com
= Connected to ftp.eskimo.com.
= 220-
= 220 ftp.eskimo.com FTP server ready.
= user "marklan" Turtle Power!
= 500 AUTH command not supported.
= 500 AUTH command not supported.
= KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
= ftp> 331 Password required for marklan.
= 230 User marklan logged in.
= ftp>
=
= I have created a .netrc file with my account login and password and it
= works for logging in by ftp, but it will not open a buffer in the remote
= directory on emacs.  I was able to use ange-ftp in my previous linux
= system without any trouble, (Mandrake 6.1 with emacs20.4) and I can
= currently use ange-ftp on NT emacs with either windows 98 or windows
= 2000 in this same account.  Does anyone out there have any ideas for any
= workarounds?
=
= Any ideas would be much appreciated,
=