Re: Want to rebind C-i

From: Edric M Ellis
Subject: Re: Want to rebind C-i
Date: 14 Oct 2002 14:38:33 +0100

Boris H. wrote:
> Edric M Ellis wrote:
>> I think you need to make a keymap for TAB, like this:
>>
>> (global-unset-key [tab])
>> (setq tab-keymap (make-sparse-keymap))
>> (define-key global-map [tab] tab-keymap)
>> (define-key tab-keymap (kbd "i") 'ispell)
>
> Hi Edric,
>
> I've just tried this and got an error message.

Doh! What was the error message? It worked for me....

> What does the above code do?

It was my understanding that to make a multiple-key binding, you need
to make a keymap first (line 2), bind that to the first key of the
sequence (line 3 - in this case - tab), and then add the other keys of
the binding (line 4). So, to add your other stuff, you'd do more
modified copies of line 4.

> Is there a way to just remove the binding of C-i to TAB?

Hmm. I don't really know where the C-i <--> TAB stuff happens, sorry.

Edric.

--
Edric M Ellis
The MathWorks, Ltd., Matrix House, Cowley Park, Cambridge CB4 0HH, UK