flyspell

From: Tim Cross
Subject: flyspell
Date: 16 Oct 2002 09:39:40 +1000

I just decided to start using flyspell again. I previously used it
under emacs 20 on a redhat linux box. However, I can't seem to get it
workin under emacs 21 running on a debian wooddy box.

If I open a file in text mode and type M-x flyspell-mode it appears to be
dictionary. However, if I mis-spell a word it is not picked up at
all. THe mode line has Fly in it, so it appears it is loaded, but it
is not checking the spelling.

I've looked at the docs and the flyspell behavior I am after appears
to be the default, so I gather it should just work as expected by
flyspell in all text modes does not appear to be working. Ispell is
working fine and I can perform a spell check of a buffer using it, but
flyspell mode just does not appear to be functioning.

So, my question - what has changed with flyspell in emacs 21.2 and
what am I missing? An example of a typical flyspell config would be
helpful.

Tim