Re: S-up and emacs -nw?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: S-up and emacs -nw?
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 18:58:38 +0000

Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> wrote on 22 Oct 2002 09:12:10 +0200:
> Alan Mackenzie<none@example.invalid> writes:

>>Fredrik Staxeng <fstx+u@update.uu.se> wrote on 20 Oct 2002 19:10:10 +0200:

>>> There seems to be a sizeable number of people still running in tty
>>> mode. I guess about 1% of those run on actual terminals, the rest are
>>> runnning various terminal emulators.

>>I'm one of these people who use an actual terminal (a Linux tty), and I
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^

> I assume you mean that you run on the Linux console. That is not what I
> mean with an actual terminal, rather it is an example of a terminal
> emulator.

OK.  Thanks for the elucidation.  I thought you meant an xterm under X.

> The relevant difference for the topic of this thread is that emulators
> can be enhanced to send bucky bits for function keys. Given that some
> people still run in tty mode, perhaps it would be a good idea to
> implement this so that it works by default.

Indeed so.

> I have used actual terminals for several years, and as soon as had the
> opportunity I switched to X. That was on a 20MHz 386 with 4MBytes of
> memory with an unaccelerated VGA card in 640x480. I am definitely the
> wrong person to try to convince about the virtues of text mode.

Wouldn't dream of it!  I'm kind of more trying to persuade developers
whose attitude is "now we've 'upgraded' to X (or Windows NT or whatever)
we can forget about this silly console support, because nobody'll want it
anyway.".  Thankfully, that attitude is absent amongst the GNU Emacs
developers.  :-)

> --
> Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

Who'd've thought Sweeden and France were so closely related?  :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter