Re: best way to add commands to c-mode??....

From: Michael Slass
Subject: Re: best way to add commands to c-mode??....
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:46:27 GMT

seberino@spawar.navy.mil writes:

>Is this the simplest way to add commands to c-mode?...
>
>(defun cs-c-mode() (interactive)
>  (c-mode)
>  (c-set-style "K&R")
>  (setq c-basic-offset 3)
>  (local-set-key "\C-d" 'cs-kill-line))
>

>Did I have to define a new mode/function to add
>these 3 commands??

The most common paradigm is

1) define a function that does all your c-mode customizations
2) add your function to one of the c-mode hooks

(defun cs-c-mode-setup ()
 (c-set-style "K&R")
 (setq c-basic-offset 3)
 (local-set-key "\C-d" 'cs-kill-line))

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook 'cs-c-mode-setup)

One of the last things c-mode does when it starts is to run all the
functions listed in the c-mode-hook variable.

Check out the documentation for hooks in the emacs manual

C-h i m emacs <RET> m hook <RET>

which talks about exactly what you're trying to do.

Also, if you're using a newer emacs, there is another hook that's used
for all c-like modes.  Once you've loaded c-mode, try
M-x apropos <RET> c.*common to see the names of the variables.

--
Mike Slass