Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X

From: Hugo Wolf
Subject: Re: installing emacs and X11 on OS X
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 21:41:46 GMT

In article <mailman.1035645140.22359.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>, Eli
Zaretskii wrote:
>> So tell me: what iyo is the right test for "set variables and add key
>> bindings so that the l&f of emacs is a little closer to the standard
>> aqua l&f for text processing if and only it's running in aqua"?
>
> I don't know what is "l&f

Look and feel.

> and what is "standard aqua"

Aqua is something like a combination window-manager/desktop-manager.
It's what you're looking at and mousing in when you run osx.

> on a Mac), but if you tell what specific functionality does Emacs
> have on that system

<sigh>

All I want to do is make emacs match the l&f conventions of the gui
environment in which it's running.  That's all. Emacs "functionality"
doesn't enter into it.  When it's running in X11, I want the l&f to
match X11 conventions as best it can (which it already does by
default).  When it's running in Aqua, I want the l&f to match Aqua
conventions.  When it's running in a terminal, there is no gui so I
don't want to do anything special.  Given that emacs uses the variable
window-system to represent the gui environment, it seems perfectly
obvious to me that I should use that variable to control these l&f
specializations.

I don't understand why it's so hard to grasp that the gui environment
itself, which emacs represents in the variable window-system, could be
_the_ relevant feature for a certain set of modifications.