RE: How to customize load-path in v21.2.1?

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: How to customize load-path in v21.2.1?
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 12:08:05 -0600

I don't know what the variable documentation in your version 21.2 says, but I
would hope that it says the same thing that mine does in both 21.2 and 20.4,
which is:

*List of directories to search for files to load.
Each element is a string (directory name) or nil (try default directory).
Initialized based on EMACSLOADPATH environment variable, if any,
otherwise to default specified by file `epaths.h' when Emacs was built.

I don't see anything in there that I would interpret as an indication that it
is not customizable.  What it says is that if you do not have a environment
variable EMACSLOADPATH then it will contain what was specified in the file
'epaths.h' when the version of emacs that you are using was built.  If that is
a Unix system, then that is likely the system where you are running it.  The
value can be very specific to the system (and you probably do not want to
remove any of it).  Also implied is that if you set the variable EMACSLOADPATH
it will replace what emacs was built with.  Sounds customizable to me.

Of course you may not want to replicate everything that emacs was built with to
in order to add a couple of directories to the front or end of the load path.
In which case the method that is shown here or some other method of adding to
the list is the preferred method.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-