Re: MS Word mode?

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: MS Word mode?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 00:40:15 +0100

Roger Mason <rmason@sparky2.esd.mun.ca> writes:

> There was a question about this recently on this forum.  Look for
> undoc.el, I got it from the wiki (I think).  It has worked very well for
> me to date, although I have not attempted ro read complex documents.

Well, it makes things readable, but it is far from perfect -- it seems
to just delete any non-ascii characters, such that sometimes you will
see words such as "Alex8" where "8" is some garbage that just looked
like being part of a real word...  In other words, interfacing to
something like catdoc, antiword, or wvText (included with AbiWord)
might be cool.  Actually all you need is this:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.doc\\'" . no-word))

(defun no-word ()
  "Run antiword on the entire buffer."
  (shell-command-on-region (point-min) (point-max) "antiword - " t t))

Alex.