Re: Non-startup auto-reminder from calendar?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Non-startup auto-reminder from calendar?
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 17:11:43 -0700

Christopher Balz wrote:

When Emacs is started up, it of course displays any calendar (.diary)
entries.

Since I usually just hibernate my machine (thank goodness I don't
start up a lot since I use iswitch and eieio with a large desktop of
buffers), the above feature isn't of much use to me.  What is needed,
I'm sure by more people than just myself, is an Emacs calendar feature
that will display the day's goings-on say at 9:00 a.m. daily.

File: emacs, Node: Appointments, Next: Daylight Savings, Prev: Diary, Up: Calendar/Diary

Appointments
============

   If you have a diary entry for an appointment, and that diary entry
begins with a recognizable time of day, Emacs can warn you, several
minutes beforehand, that that appointment is pending.  Emacs alerts you
to the appointment by displaying a message in the mode line.

   To enable appointment notification, you must enable the time display
feature of Emacs, `M-x display-time' (*note Mode Line::.).  You must
also add the function `appt-make-list' to the `diary-hook', like this:

     (add-hook 'diary-hook 'appt-make-list)

   Emacs updates the appointments list automatically just after
midnight.  This also displays the next day's diary entries in the diary
buffer, unless you set `appt-display-diary' to `nil'.