Re: HTML Editing in Emacs

From: Sam Peterson
Subject: Re: HTML Editing in Emacs
Date: 13 Nov 2002 23:45:14 -0800

Michael Slass <miknrene@drizzle.com> writes:

> Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu> writes:
>
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I've using html-helper-mode with Emacs to create a few web pages of
> >mine.  I'm beginning to get the hang of it and I'm really starting
> >to like it, been writing macros, etc.  However, there's one thing I
> >really need that I'm not sure how to provide.
> >
> >If I have several web pages that cross reference each other, or an
> >image referenced from several web pages, and I'd like to rename or
> >move one of these files, I need to manually update all references
> >to it.  I need a facility that could move and rename files and
> >update all references for me.
> >
> >Bloated web site tools such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage provide
> >this.  I hate these tools, but this particular mechanism is very
> >nice.  Is there any such "site" tools for Emacs, or if not for
> >Emacs, is there a nice minimalistic external program that could
> >provide this facility, and thereby it would be an easy task of just
> >writing a few elisp functions to interface with it?
>

> The quickest and dirtiest way, if all the html files are in the same
> directory, is to mark the html files in dired, and then hit Q, which
> runs a query-replace on all the marked files.

Hmm, I see great potential there.  That was a little more simple than
I'd hoped for but I imagine it gets the job done.  I was kind of
hoping for something that would map out my site and give me a list of
references that I could change if I wanted to.  Any recommendations?

--
Sam Peterson
skpeterson@ucdavis.edu