Problems with diary/appt in emacs 21.2

From: Victor S. Miller
Subject: Problems with diary/appt in emacs 21.2
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:05:49 -0500

I recently converted to using emacs 21.2.  Everything went smoothly
with two exceptions, both related to calendar/diary/appt.  Below is
the relevant part of my .emacs relating to them:

(display-time)
(add-hook 'diary-display-hook 'appt-make-list)
(add-hook 'diary-display-hook 'fancy-diary-display)
(add-hook 'list-diary-entries-hook 'sort-diary-entries t)
;;(add-hook 'list-diary-entries-hook 'include-other-diary-files)
(add-hook 'nongregorian-diary-listing-hook 'list-hebrew-diary-entries)
(add-hook 'mark-diary-entries-hook 'mark-included-diary-files)
(diary 0)
(setq view-diary-entries-initially t)
(setq all-hebrew-calendary-holidays 't)
(setq mark-holidays-in-calendar 't)

Here are the problems:

1) When the commented entry above is uncommented (as it had been
   before my use of emacs 21.2), when I invoke calendar, it terminates
   with a message saying it cannot write to a read-only buffer.  When
   I commented it out, things seem to work -- the
   mark-included-diary-files magically seems to actually include
   them.  I had originally put in the commented line because the gnus
   help says to use it if you use an #include line.  This seems like a
   bug to me.

2) appt is not functioning properly.  More specifically, at the times
   that a reminder should function a mini-window pops up (as before)
   except that (a) no bell is sounded, (b) nothing is written in the
   window and (c) the window doesn't disappear after a short time (in
   fact it never disappears).  Are there changes that must be made in
   order to use appt in 21.2?  If not, is there some way for me to
   debug this?

Victor