turning off automatic indentation

From: Howard E. Haber
Subject: turning off automatic indentation
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 09:39:36 GMT

In the EMACS FAQ, question 5.24  notes that in Emacs 20 and later, Emacs
automatically indents a new line to the indentation of the previous line.
(I am assuming that auto-fill-mode is turned on.)

I am trying to figure out how to turn this feature off in text-mode.  In
particular, when I am sending mail (using the emacs editor), if I write:

Dear Sir or Madam:
     It has come to my attention...

by the time I get to the second line of the letter, emacs automatically
aligns that line under the sentence ("It has come to my attention...").  I
would prefer to have the wordwrapping feature start the second line fully
left justified and not indented.

I am looking for some appropriate command for my .emacs file, but I have not
found it.