Re: How are you using (local) version control and comments?

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: How are you using (local) version control and comments?
Date: 19 Nov 2002 10:47:08 -0500

> I'm currently using a Change-Log in each directory, describing changes
> in local files, and a "module specific" Change-Log in the top
> directory. But when using commit from pcl-cvs on the whole module, I
> have to manually copy and edit entries from all Change-logs below.

Sounds like a bug (or lack of feature ;-) in PCL-CVS.  I'll see if I
can fix it.  Thanks for mentioning it.

I'd recommend you try to setup your ChangeLog files such that
it happens very rarely that a single commit spans changes recorded
in several ChanegLog files.  This way you won't suffer from the above
problem.

> Since I have a slow connection to my cvs repository (sourceforge) I'm
> also thinking about using RCS as a local version control as described
> in <info://emacs/Local+Version+Control>. Does this also work under
> pcl-cvs?

PCL-CVS doesn't know anything about RCS, so it won't mind but it won't
do anything useful with it.  I used such a setup in the past and actually
liked it: instead of switching backend in VC with `C-x v b', I just let
VC do all the RCS commands and used PCL-CVS to do the CVS stuff.

        Stefan