Operations on a region

From: Arnold
Subject: Operations on a region
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:04:03 -0600

Hi,
I'm a vi user trying to learn emacs. In vi, I could very easily mark a region and do an operation on it. e.g. :'a,'bs/blah/word/' or :'a,'b!sort. So far, the closest I've seen is to mark a region and then narrow into it, but that's not as easy as on vi and it I can't run a command on it and have the output replace that contents of that region.

Lisp is also new to me, but I'm thinking of trying to craft a script that will automatically narrow in, prompt me for the search-replace stuff, and then automatically widen back out.

Does anyone have a better way, or is this problem perhaps already solved already?
thanks,
arnold