Re: Terminal emulation in shell

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Terminal emulation in shell
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 20:30:54 GMT

In article <6e7f271d.0211221207.4cc23bdf@posting.google.com>,
iganpo <iganpo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Is there a way to emulate a terminal, say VT-100, in a *shell*?  For
>example, programs that echo the backspace character end up with a ^H
>instead, and more (or less) doesn't function.  I'm running emacs 20.7.1 on
>Windows 2000.

No, there's no terminal emulation in shell buffers.  Why do you need to use
more or less when you're in a shell buffer?  You already have the ability
to scroll back and forth through the output, you don't need to run another
program to do that.

When I'm in an Emacs shell, I set $PAGER to "cat", so that all the
applications that would normally pipe their output through less will just
dump it straight out.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA