Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off

From: ken
Subject: Re: (Newbie) How to turn AutoFill-mode on/off
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:53:38 -0500 (EST)

Elaine (and other emacsers in the writing business),

I was a writer for awhile and a copyeditor as well.  What you need to
format documents depends on what kind of writing you will be doing, who
you will be submitting it to, and what format they want.

E.g., if your doing technical writing for a company and they want
hardcopy without having you send out your manuscripts to a
typesetter/printer, then I would agree with Michael.  LaTeX will give
you all you want in terms of typesetting.

However, if you don't need all of that, if you don't need to include
formulas and if your publisher is going to be producing the published
hardcopy, then LaTeX is probably overkill; you'll be spending too much
time learning it and a lot less time actually writing.

If the kind of document your writing is no more typographially complex
than, say, a master's thesis, then I would suggest using HTML.  It'll do
superscripts and subscripts (e.g., for footnotes), italics, bold,
various and variable-sized fonts, tables, and a lot more and quite a bit
more easily than LaTeX.  You can also include diagrams, photos, and
other images into html docs.  If I were doing my master's thesis today,
it's what I'd use.  The only thing I could never figure out how to do in
html was page breaks.  Maybe they've added a tag for that in the past
five or so years.  Finally, most word processors will read in html, so
if there's some reason that, in the end, you *absolutely* *must* make
another change, just about any ole wordprocessor will handle it.

Oh, and emacs has an html-helper-mode to make the work go even faster.

hth,
ken