prompt: "Select one of these safe coding systems"

From: D . Goel
Subject: prompt: "Select one of these safe coding systems"
Date: 24 Nov 2002 14:19:31 -0500

hi

Here, emacs (21.2) always prompts for a "safe" coding system (when
trying to save the bdbb file)--->

,----

| These default coding systems were tried:
|   iso-2022-7bit-unix iso-latin-1
| However, none of them safely encodes the target text.
|
| Select one of the following safe coding systems:
|   utf-8 raw-text emacs-mule no-conversion.
`----

So, I tried to set-language-environment (used to be english) to
Latin-1, but emacs continued to prompt the first option being utf-8.

So, I tried to setq default-buffer-file-coding-system to 'utf-8, but
emacs still continued to show the same prompt.

I then tried the same coding-system utf-8 with english as well, but
still got the same prompt.

So

[1] It seems I cannot get emacs to follow a system I want (utf-8) by
default.  It still tries other systems and then shows me utf-8 among
the list of choices.  What am i doing wrong?

[2] If emacs cannot "safely" encode, how do i ask it to please not
prompt me, but simply select the first from the "safe" "alternatives"
shows me?

[3] Any other hints or workarounds, considering this situation?
I really want to get rid of this prompt :(, esp. since the prompt
shows up for not me but for an infobot, which is supposed to be run
noninteractively.  I don't care too much how it stores any
international characters that may have shown up, as long as it stores
the 99.9% english part just fine---i just want emacs to select
somethigng and just do it. The main problem is that the bot gets stuck
in the minibuffer which is really bad for other bot functions.  BTW,
FWIW, emacs is running in console for the bot.

Thanks for any hints.
DG                                 http://deego.gnufans.org/~deego/