syntax highlighting on a console

From: Duncan Hughes
Subject: syntax highlighting on a console
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:10:29 +0000

Hi, I'm using Emacs 20.7.2 (mipsel-ps2-linux-gnu) from a tty and I can't
figure out syntax highlighting.
I've tried M-x set-font-lock-mode and it appears to go into font-lock mode
but nothing actually happens to the text.
SH works fine when I run from within X and I just want to highlight
C/C++/Makefiles so I'm pretty sure everything's installed.
Sorry 'bout the dumb newbie question and thanx in advance.
dunch.
--
If we can't be free, we can at least be cheap.  FZ.