Re: PCL-CVS:- strange messages in *cvs* buffer

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: PCL-CVS:- strange messages in *cvs* buffer
Date: 03 Dec 2002 10:15:21 -0500

>>> With one repository that I am using, I am getting a lot of
>>> strange messages coming out in my *cvs* buffer.
Stefan> I believe this is another manifestation of a bad interaction
Stefan> between glibc, ssh, and cvs.
Stefan> Is it on a system that uses glibc ?  Are you accessing the
Stefan> repository via SSH ?
> Yes, and yes. Both client and server are running on redhat (7.2
> client, 8 server). Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

Complain to all three groups so that hopefully some fix will
show up at some point.   In the mean time, the Emacs code on the trunk
has the (process-connection-type nil) line changed to the following:

               ;; If process-connection-type is nil and the repository
               ;; is accessed via SSH, a bad interaction between libc,
               ;; CVS and SSH can lead to garbled output.
               ;; It might be a glibc-specific problem.
               ;; Until the problem is cleared, we'll use a pty rather than
               ;; a pipe.
               ;; (process-connection-type nil) ; Use a pipe, not a pty.

-- Stefan

PS: yes, the problem only happens if the output is a pipe rather than a pty.
    it's all due to incompatible buffering settings.