Re: Problem with Latex / compile dvi postscript

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Problem with Latex / compile dvi postscript
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:41:11 +0100

Kester Clegg <kester@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Kester Clegg <kester@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
>>
>> > I just wish C-c C-c would default to pdflatex, rather than latex!  :-)
>>
>> See variable TeX-command-default.  But then the auto-detection of the
>> viewing command doesn't work anymore.  Oh, well...
>
> I can't find a TeX-command-default variable.

I can't believe it.  Your Emacs installation must be really out of
whack!  First you see strange stuff with Gnus, now your AUC-TeX
doesn't have the TeX-command-default variable.

I'm afraid of a more fundamental problem with your Emacs installation.

When you open a *.tex file (containing LaTeX source code), do you see
a `LaTeX' and a `Command' menu bar item?  If so, then you should be
using AUC-TeX, and there surely a TeX-command-default variable is
defined.  Type C-h v TeX-command-default RET from that *.tex buffer.
What does Emacs say?