Re: Multi-file commits with pcvs from dired?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Multi-file commits with pcvs from dired?
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 18:44:19 +0100

Tim Haynes <usenet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk> writes:

> If I'm looking at a dired buffer on a directory and have played with
> several files in it to make some changes, how do I get `C-x v v' to commit
> all those changed files with one log message?

For version control, I recommend vc-dired instead of dired.  Type C-x
v d.

> Currently I've tried marking a few files with `m' in dired, but still no
> joy: I'm always getting an error, "Buffer <directoryname> is not associated
> with a file".

Then, it should be sufficient to say `v v', after marking the files.

But why don't you use PCL-CVS?  You mention it in the subject line of
your posting.  Type M-x cvs-update RET /path/to/working/directory
RET.  The command `C' will commit the file/directory under point,
even recursively, so it is sufficient to hit `C' on the top-level
directory in the *cvs* buffer.  It also snarfs ChangeLog entries for
use as commit messages (unlike `c' which doesn't do that).