Re: any Emacs features to help keep code/comments under 80 columns width

From: ken
Subject: Re: any Emacs features to help keep code/comments under 80 columns width?
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:09:13 -0500 (EST)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil at 17:30 (UTC-0800) on Mon, 2 Dec 2002 said:

= Ken
=
= Thanks for the help.
=
= Do you know why I would be able to turn on auto-fill-mode
= interactively with "M-x auto-fill-mode" but *not*
= by putting
=
= (setq-default fill-column 80)
= (setq text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
=
= in .emacs?

First, follow Kai's advice and use:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

I haven't tested it yet, but I'm taking his word for it.

The .emacs file is read when emacs is started.  You would need to
restart emacs-- i.e., close it and then open it up again-- for it to
take effect.

Note that you can set the fill-column number a couple other ways:

- e.g., if you want wrapping at column 45, do C-4 C-5 C-x f

- Put the cursor where you want wrapping to happen and do C-u C-x f

=
= BTW, will this turn on auto-fill-mode for *all* modes
= like c-mode? (programming)

No, it would be just for text mode.

hth,
ken