Re: multiple/alternate .emacs

From: Tim Haynes
Subject: Re: multiple/alternate .emacs
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:53:00 +0000

"Bryan W. Lepore" <lepore@brandeis.edu> writes:

> is there a way to make emacs use alternate .emacs files? e.g. .emacs1,
> .emacs2, or is the .emacs required to be named only ".emacs"?

To what end would you want to do this?

                                   ~~~~

If it's one scenario I suspect, then you could consider a simple .emacs
that chooses which other files to load; something like, for example:

    (if (string-match "XEmacs" (emacs-version)) ;choose config file to load
        (load "~/.xemacsrc")
      (load "~/.gnuemacs"))

and make sure that you assert

    (setq custom-file "~/.gnuemacs")

as appropriate as well.

Multiple versions for different environments can also be handled very well
by CVS - I have the above, as you might have guessed, and I have multiple
branches in cvs for home, work, colo-server.

</spiel>

~Tim
--
The sun is melting over the hills,          |piglet@stirfried.vegetable.org.uk