Re: multiple/alternate .emacs

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: multiple/alternate .emacs
Date: 05 Dec 2002 16:19:38 +0000

  Tim> "Bryan W. Lepore" <lepore@brandeis.edu> writes:

  >> is there a way to make emacs use alternate .emacs files?
  >> e.g. .emacs1, .emacs2, or is the .emacs required to be named only
  >> ".emacs"?

  Tim> To what end would you want to do this?

I do this. I have one emacs for mail/news, and one for everything
else. I do this because emacs isn't threaded. If NNTP or mail is slow,
I press "g" and come back a few minutes later. In the mean time I want
to work.

I go the simple route of

emacs -q -l ~/emacs/mailwindow.el

to launch my mail reader (obvious I have this scripted, and don't type
it every time). Then I modularlise the rest of my start up, so that I
share as much code between the two as possible.

I also did this for a while when I was running emacs21, and emacs20 at
the same time, although this was mostly a quick cut and paste hack, as
I knew that it would not last for long!

Cheers

Phil