Re: New to Gnus

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: New to Gnus
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:50:11 +0100

"Jeff Rancier" <jeff.rancier@softechnics.com> writes:

> 1. When I attempt to send a reply to an article, I get "Searching for
> program: no such file or directory, fakemail.  My understanding is
> that Gnus functionality for sending/replying is sufficient.

On ms-windows you probably want to send mail directly through the SMTP
server of your ISP -- something like this:

   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
   (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.example.com")

> 2.  When reading an HTML message, I was getting an error finding
> url-vars, found it in W3, installed and configured W3, and now see the
> HTML, but only the tags.  Should I expect this behaviour

W3 has some limitations, one them is that it does not always deal
graciously with malformed HTML (which is often the case with HTML
email).

AFAIK, there's no easy way to fix it in Gnus 5.9.  But the next version
will let you choose an alternative way to render HTML in Gnus, such as
Lynx, w3m or Links.

> 3.  When Gnus starts in the other frame, I'm required to double click
> on the title bar to be able to see the entire frame, i.e., the
> mode-line is beyond the actual display size.  Is there anyway to have
> the other frame maximized without double clicking on it.

You can specify the initial size of a new frame in
`default-frame-alist'.

Also, I think there's some specific way to maximize under ms-windows,
see the Emacs on Windows FAQ for details

    <http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq.html>.

You could add that function to `gnus-started-hook'.