Re: Mac OSX TeX / To X11 or Not?

From: Schone Mullerin
Subject: Re: Mac OSX TeX / To X11 or Not?
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:52:18 GMT

In article <061220020416350201%ajanta@no.spam>, Ajanta wrote:
> I followed Andrew Choi's instructions and got
> a later (21.3 beta?) version by CVS; this one ran ./configure but make
> eventually failed.

This is a cvs tree, so it's frequently broken for "minority"
platforms.  The current sources as of yesterday, for example, were
broken for darwin/osx (emacs/lib-src/getopt.c).  When this happens you
generally need to checkout an earlier version of the problematic file.

> XEmacs: I got 21.4; both configure and make ran fine but gave me a
> terminal-like emacs. Apparently couldn't detect any windowing system on
> the mac!

Do you have a full X11 installed (headers etc)?

For xemacs as well as an X11 build of gnu emacs you should consider
using fink's configuration instead of doing it manually.  Likewise
texinfo.