Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on Mac OSX 10.2.2

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on Mac OSX 10.2.2
Date: 06 Dec 2002 18:07:50 -0500

> 1. There seem to be *three* executables of identical size (my disk is
> not full, but why waste 16MB if one doesn't have to?):
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs*
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/bin/emacs*
> /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/bin/emacs-21.3.50*

Check their inodes: they should be hardlinks and thus wasting even less
space than symlinks.

> 2. Speaking of disk space, I am not going to use any language besides

What kind of machine are you running this on ?
I ask because my machine is about 6 years old by now and yet 50MB of
disk space is not a big concern.  This is not just rhetorical: the
version 21.3.50 you're using is significantly larger than 21.2 and
this was the result of a conscious decision, so I'd be interested to hear
of how serious a problem it might be.

> 3. When running emacs, "preference" panel in toolbar is broken.

It is generally safe to assume that "broken" is a hopelessly useless
characterization of a behavior.  Please expand.

> 4. The window is normal video (black text on white background).
> I would prefer reverse video (white text on black background) if
> possible. How to get that?

Maybe the -rv option ?  Otherwise, M-x customize-face RET default RET
and change the foreground/background colors.

> 5. At some point (I must have pressed the wrong key) the program
> complained I don't have ispell. That is true, I haven't gotten around
> to it and should. However, would aspell be better, as some claim, and
> if so how to make emacs work with it instead?

aspell emulates ispell so the ispell support works with aspell as well.
Maybe someone has improved Emacs' ispell support to take advantage of
some of the new features offered by aspell but I haven't heard about it.

        Stefan