Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: PCL-CVS only committing some files
Date: 07 Dec 2002 11:58:33 +0900

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
writes:
> The set of files committed is not determined when you hit `c' or `C'
> but when you hit C-c C-c.
> Usually they are the same, but not always.

I've always hated that ... sometimes I inadvertently move point in the
*cvs* buffer while I'm editing the log-entry (e.g., if start switching
buffers to lookup some info), and end up committing the wrong file!

I guess it could be handy in the case of committing _multiple_ files
though, to be able to change the set of files to commit while editing
the log...  Hmmm, I'm not sure _what_ I want.

What do you think of the following:

  * For a single file, display the to-be-committed filename in
    *log-entry*'s (not sure if that's the right buffer name, but anyway)
    mode-line, otherwise display something like `(marked files)'; update
    this mode-line info dynamically if the user changes the *cvs* buffer
    state

  * When the user hits `C-c C-c', if the set of to-be-committed
    file/files is different from what it was at `c'/`C' time, ask the
    user to confirm the commit (`Really commit foo.c?' or `Really commit
    these files?' [+ temp-buffer showing the files])

Stefan, does this sound hard to implement?

Thanks,

-Miles
--
"I distrust a research person who is always obviously busy on a task."
   --Robert Frosch, VP, GM Research