Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on Mac OSX 10.2.2

From: Ajanta
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.3.50 on Mac OSX 10.2.2
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 07:53:28 GMT

Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> wrote:

> > 1. There seem to be *three* executables of identical size (my disk is
> > not full, but why waste 16MB if one doesn't have to?):
> > /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs*
> > /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/bin/emacs*
> > /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/bin/emacs-21.3.50*
>
> Check their inodes: they should be hardlinks and thus wasting even less
> space than symlinks.

I am not familar with inodes. However, I do remember that the dir size
decreases by 16MB when I moved the files out. I played around like that
and the disk space seemed real. Anyway, why do we need three
executables two of which seem to do nothing?

> What kind of machine are you running this on ?

Powerbook, 10.2.2, a few weeks old.

> I ask because my machine is about 6 years old by now and yet 50MB of
> disk space is not a big concern.  This is not just rhetorical: the
> version 21.3.50 you're using is significantly larger than 21.2 and
> this was the result of a conscious decision, so I'd be interested to hear
> of how serious a problem it might be.

I don't have a space crunch yet. I just want to get in to the habit of
not accumulating things that aren't needed. In the release 21.3.50,
Emacs.app is approx 120MB.

> > 3. When running emacs, "preference" panel in toolbar is broken.
>
> It is generally safe to assume that "broken" is a hopelessly useless
> characterization of a behavior.  Please expand.

It is "unhighlighted" in the mac style. You can't open the panel.

> > 4. The window is normal video (black text on white background).
> > I would prefer reverse video (white text on black background) ...
> Maybe the -rv option ?  Otherwise, M-x customize-face RET default RET
> and change the foreground/background colors.

Don't know how to give the -rv option when I am clicking on an icon in
the dock, which is how I'd mostly run this program. In most mac-style
apps I would expect to set such things in a Preferences panel. Anyway,
I'll try the customize-face way that you  suggested.