Re: Syntax highlight

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syntax highlight
Date: 10 Dec 2002 15:14:41 +0100

Kester Clegg <kester@cs.york.ac.uk> writes:

> David Kastrup <David.Kastrup@t-online.de> writes:
>
> > You _have_ checked out <URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net> yet,
> > I trust?
>
> I have, but sadly these days I use pdflatex and xpdf.

So what?  Most documents will still run through LaTeX nevertheless,
and if preview-latex finds that you have configured AUCTeX to run
pdflatex, current versions will just run latex for generating the
previews, nevertheless.

> preview-latex is a great idea.  I know you're working on getting
> pdflatex support and I'll try and have a look to see if I can get a
> bit more involved.  :-)

Two angles must be dealt with.  Angle 1 is that the Emacs part needs
to get away with batch operation.  If that is accomplished, other
converters can be dropped in as well.  Angle 2 is that all the
important information must be written out into PDF specials, which I
have no clue about.

An optional angle 3 would involve running GhostScript in damon mode
operation like we do it for PostScript: in that case, one would need
to know how, for example, GhostView can navigate freely through PDF
files.  This would probably be the most ambitious part, and it would
mostly obliterate the need for angle 1 as well (which we nevertheless
want to arrive at).