Re: using DDE from gnu-emacs

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: using DDE from gnu-emacs
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:37:59 +0100

ehudre@post.tau.ac.il (Ehud Reshef) writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>> ehudre@post.tau.ac.il (Ehud Reshef) writes:
>>
>> > I am looking for a way to send to Acrobat, a DDE command from
>> > gnu-Emacs
>>
>> See:
>>
>> <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=wkd778pgoh.fsf%40try.harder.Invalid&rnum=3>
>
> I Tried to follow the lead from there, and create the following (vey
> similar) lisp code:

You probably want something like this:

(defun acrobat-close-doc (file)
  "Close <file> in Acrobat, using DDE."
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer (get-buffer-create " *ddeclient*"))
    (erase-buffer)
    (insert (concat "[DocClose( " file ".pdf )]" ))
    (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max)
                         "ddeclient" t t nil "acroview" "control")
    (if (= 0 (string-to-int (buffer-string))) t nil)))

(defun TeX-run-pdfLaTeX (name command file)
  "Create a process for NAME using COMMAND to format FILE with
pdfLaTeX."
  ;;  (acrobat-close-all-docs)
  (acrobat-close-doc file)
  (TeX-run-LaTeX name command file))

> I'm not very proficient with lisp...

The problem with you Lisp code is the way you are calling functions.  In
Lisp you call the function 'foo' with an argument arg1 like this:

  (foo arg1)

So instead of

  (acrobat-close-doc(file))

you should say: (acrobat-close-doc file)

[Contrary to popular belief, there are no redundant parens i Lisp :-)]

*But* I still don't think your version will work.  It's been a while
since I used it, but I think the Acrobat DDE interface will only
let you close a *specific* file if you *opened* it through DDE.

AUC TeX doesn't open files with DDE, so you can't close them that way.
The only easy work-around I could think of at the time was to close all
files in Acrobat, which *is* possible even though they weren't opened
through DDE.