Re: Software/HD ecology (was Re:...Bug in Emacs 21.3.50)

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Software/HD ecology (was Re:...Bug in Emacs 21.3.50)
Date: 11 Dec 2002 18:29:32 +0000

  Ajanta> Phillip Lord <p.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:

  >> Well this is a different issue. Clutter for me is a problem in
  >> user space... In space managed my the machine (like for instance
  >> a make file installed emacs), I couldn't care less about
  >> duplication, or clutter. Computers don't get confused by clutter.

  Ajanta> However, since computers are there for users, there is bound
  Ajanta> to be some overlap. One might want to know just what
  Ajanta> commands are there in one's various bin's, what they do, who
  Ajanta> put them there and why. In tricky situations the only way to
  Ajanta> understand a program better may be to actuallly browse its
  Ajanta> directories and files, so clutter there would hurt.

Of course this is true. But there are some parts of my computer that I
look at, and some that I don't. The internals of an installed emacs, I
don't. Its much more important that the Makefile, or the autoconf
script, or what ever, is uncluttered than the final file system is. If
you have to put in a lot of stuff, removing the excess files, then you
are trading one for the other.

You win somethings, you loose others.

Phil