Re: inserting quotes (") and slashes (/) ?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: inserting quotes (") and slashes (/) ?
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 08:23:58 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Josh DuBois wrote:

>    I've used emacs for years and this seems like a newbie question, but
> I can't figure it out or find it in an FAQ: inserting quote characters,
> and also the forward-slash, in emacs, seems to trigger a 'compose
> character' behavior or something.  When I hit '/' I get, at the bottom
> of my screen:
>
> /[ /234=AEO\aceo]
>
> ..if I type one of the characters above then some weird control
> sequence is inserted, otherwise I get the slash character I want.  Same
> thing happens for the " character.
>
> It seems to only happen in LaTeX mode, and then only sometimes.

Sounds like on your system LaTeX mode somehow turns on a Latin-1 input
method.  Input methods are meant to allow one to type non-ASCII
characters that aren't directly supported by the keyboard.  They work by
combining several ASCII keys into a single non-ASCII character (that's
the ``weird control sequence'' you see.

You can turn off the input method by typing "C-\".  Alternatively, typing
a SPACE after / or typing "C-q /" will produce a literal /.