Re: messing up my keyboard (somehow)

From: Jason Trenouth
Subject: Re: messing up my keyboard (somehow)
Date: 16 Dec 2002 11:21:59 +0000

    Barney> Not sure if its a bug, or just me typing badly! I found a
    Barney> way to reset it, which suggests it is a win32 specific
    Barney> problem executing (w32-set-keyboard-layout '(2057 . 2057))
    Barney> solves the problem - its getting set to (1033 . 1033)
    Barney> somehow. I'm not exactly sure how these numbers relate to
    Barney> layouts but my guess is they are uk/us. I didn't know
    Barney> about C-h l - will do that next time it happens.

Hi,

Since I just found the solution to this old chestnut I thought I'd
post it to the thread I found so that others following the same trail
find it.

Windows NT/2K can have multiple keyboard layouts defined with a hot
key sequence to switch between them. The default seems to be Shift-Alt
which is obviously a pain for Emacs users as they probably end up
switching their keyboard layout backwards and forwards multiple times
in every session if they have multiple layouts defined...  (BTW the
switch seems to be application-specific. Only the current application
gets its keyboard switched.)

The solution is to:

        click Start -> Settings -> Regional Options
        click last tab called "Input Locales"
        ensure that there is no hot key sequence defined for switching (*)

__Jason

(*) The exact UI of this bit of the dialog differs between NT and 2K
and doubtless has changed again in XP.

PS I don't subscribe gnu.emacs.help as a rule so I won't see any
further followups unless they happen soon after the submission.