Re: New to Emacs

From: Peter Lee
Subject: Re: New to Emacs
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:45:17 GMT

Code Fox <codefox@ftml.net> writes:

> I just downloaded emacs 21.2 for windows. I haven't used it
> before. I'm just getting used to navigating and using the control and
> meta key commands. Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the features
> available in emacs. I find it a bit difficult to follow the gnu emacs
> manual for a first read. Could someone provide me with links to get
> started with emacs? Also I have a few doubts:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/GNU-Emacs-FAQ/

HTH.
From: marcel-sl@gmx.de (Marcel Schmittfull)
Newsgroups: comp.emacs,gnu.emacs.help
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 18:52:52 GMT
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: M-TAB already used by KDE

Benjamin Lewis <bclewis@cs.sfu.ca> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Marcel Schmittfull wrote:
>
>> Yes ok, this works. But for me it's very awkward to type <ESC><TAB>
>> since I've to leave the ground position of my left hand on the
>> keyboard (on an usual German keyboard; probably that's quite different
>> from English ones). Since I'm going to use completion _very_ often, I
>> would be very happy about an easier keybinding...
>
>Perhaps you could use a different key for Meta in emacs.  I use the
>"Windows" key for windowmanager functions, and the "Alt" key as Meta in
>emacs.  If KDE doesn't allow you to change key bindings, perhaps some
>jiggery-pokery in .emacs and/or with xmodmap would allow the change in
>emacs. (Assuming you have a such a key available).

Yes, I have the "windows" key on my keyboard. What would I have to
write in my .emacs in order to use the "windows" key in the same
meaning as the "Alt" key ? That is I want the "alt" key and the
"windows" key to have both the same meaning in emacs, namely "Meta".

TIA
Marcel