Re: text highlighting

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: text highlighting
Date: 19 Dec 2002 19:39:10 +0100

Mariusz Pagowski <Mariusz.Pagowski@noaa.gov> writes:

> Hi,
> I recently upgraded to RH7.3 which comes with emacs 20.7.
> I am used to my previous emacs setting and don't like
> what  emacs does now when I do search/replacements, namely it
> highlights all matches with colors almost making the screen  look like a
> rainbow (ie. emacs -nw). How to change settings to remove the
> highlighting?

Read the NEWS file (probably with C-h N) for changes, and what to do
about them.  In the current CVS, I have found the following info
which might not necessarily apply to your case since your Emacs is so
very much older (so you probably want to read up on this in your NEWS
file):

*** There is a new lazy highlighting feature in incremental search.

Lazy highlighting is switched on/off by customizing variable
`isearch-lazy-highlight'.  When active, all matches for the current
search string are highlighted.  The current match is highlighted as
before using face `isearch' or `region'.  All other matches are
highlighted using face `isearch-lazy-highlight-face' which defaults to
`secondary-selection'.

The extra highlighting makes it easier to anticipate where the cursor
will end up each time you press C-s or C-r to repeat a pending search.
Highlighting of these additional matches happens in a deferred fashion
using "idle timers," so the cycles needed do not rob isearch of its
usual snappy response.

If `isearch-lazy-highlight-cleanup' is set to t, highlights for
matches are automatically cleared when you end the search.  If it is
set to nil, you can remove the highlights manually with `M-x