Re: Help with simple function

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: Help with simple function
Date: 09 Jan 2003 15:24:46 -0500

Wow!  Thanks *very* much.  Can I use your name/contact info in the
.gnus sources?

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <kon@iki.fi> writes:

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>
> > I don't even know how to create the pop-servers variable so it
> > will accept this list format.
>
> If you assign a value to a variable (with setq), you implicitly
> create it.  Variables thus created accept all types of values.
> Only some built-in variables have type restrictions.

Great.  I thought I had to do defvar or something like that.

> Of course, there is plenty of code that assumes that the value of
> compile-command is a string, for example; but if you choose a
> name that is not already in use, there is no conflict.

I can make it pd-pop-servers, or something else that's unlikely to
conflict.

[...]

> > 3) Call the Perl script once for each server, passing the arguments,
> >    password, etc.
>
> (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*popfetch*"
>   (dolist (server pop-servers)
>     (call-process "perl" nil standard-output nil
>                 "c:/home/popfetch.pl"
>                 (plist-get server :server)
>                 (plist-get server :username)
>                 (pd-server-password server))))
>
> One should probably display the buffer earlier.

The Perl script lists some info on each message as its processed, so
it would be nice to see the output in a buffer as it's being
generated.  That's really just a frill, though.

Thanks again for your help!

-pd

--
--------