Re: Problem with X window frames

From: Greg Hill
Subject: Re: Problem with X window frames
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 15:51:49 -0800

At 9:35 PM +0100 1/14/03, Kai Großjohann wrote:
Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

 Now if I can just figure out how to get "focus-follows-mouse" to work.
 Does anyone happen to know the trick for that?

Does it work for other programs?  (Try two xterms.)

Or do you want to do something else than my first sentence implies?

Here's an odd twist.  focus-follows-mouse DOES work, sort-of, but
only after I resize a frame by dragging on its corner.  I have to
actually change the size of the frame for this to work.  If I click
and drag on the corner but retun it to its original position before
unclicking, that does not make focus-follows-mouse work.  It doesn't
matter what frame I resize.  If I open three frames, resizing any one
of them does the trick.  But then if I change focus, either by
clicking on a frame or by calling raise-frame, or if I close a frame
or open a new one, focus-follows-mouse stops working until after I
resize a frame again.  Also, calling set-frame-height or
set-frame-size does change the size of the frame, but it does not
make focus-follows-mouse start working.

I have tried every eXodus configuration option in the Rootless
Options, XServer Options and X Extensions catagories, and none of
them seems to have any effect on the way this works (except for one
which prevents focus-follows-mouse from ever working.)

One of my co-workers, who has a PC instead of a MAC, can't get
focus-follows-mouse to ever work, under any circumstances.  Another,
who has a Sun workstation, never has any problems with focus-follows
mouse.  We are all running the same Emacs on the same host.