return and enter keys in emacs 21.3 on MacOSX 10.2

From: Tiago Henriques
Subject: return and enter keys in emacs 21.3 on MacOSX 10.2
Date: 16 Jan 2003 09:41:15 -0800

Hi,

I'm using emacs 21.3.50.5 with MacOSX 10.2.3 (Jaguar, update 3).
Unfortunately I'm having a bit of a problem with, since my Return key
doesn't seem to work correctly under Jaguar. Using my 500MHz iBook,
the only way I can make it work is by pressing Fn-Return or Ctrl-M,
which is annoying. Using an external USB  keyboard I still have the
same problem, the only difference being that the KeyPad Enter key
seems to be recognized as return.

I understand that these 2 separate keys correspond to 2 different
keycodes, and usually are associated with the following ascii
characters:

Return: ascii 13
Enter: ascii 3

It seems emacs is only accepting ascii 3 for Return, instead of
accepting 13 or both. How can I configure my .emacs file so that it
maps Return to Enter, making the  Return key emit ascii 3? Or am I
looking at it the wrong way?

I've googled for the answer for one and a half days, and was unable to
find a solution.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tiago Henriques

PS: In case of doubt, here is my .emacs file:

(setq mac-command-key-is-meta nil)
(global-set-key [(alt v)] 'yank)
(global-set-key [(alt c)] 'kill-ring-save)
(global-set-key [(alt x)] 'kill-region)
(global-set-key [(alt q)] 'save-buffers-kill-emacs)
(global-set-key [(alt z)] 'undo)

(setq load-path (cons "~/Documents/emacs/" load-path))
(setq load-path (cons "~/Documents/emacs/rozenberg/" load-path))
(setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode) auto-mode-alist))
(setq interpreter-mode-alist
      (cons '("python" . python-mode)
            interpreter-mode-alist))
(autoload 'python-mode "python-mode" "Python editing mode." t)
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
                 (define-key py-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'py-execute-prog)
                 (define-key py-mode-map "\C-c\C-g" 'py-call-pdb)
                 (define-key py-mode-map "\C-c\C-w" 'pychecker)))
(load "py-mode-ext.el")
         ;;; add these lines if you like color-based syntax
highlighting
(global-font-lock-mode t)
(setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)