Re: How to get rid of the tool bar

From: Zaphod Beeblebrox
Subject: Re: How to get rid of the tool bar
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 11:58:21 +1300

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:47:56 +1300, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Zaphod Beeblebrox <kagyukid@despam.yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> THAT's what is meant by 'more'.  I didn't think of it as more matches
>> but rather more of the stuff we'd been looking at. .. DUH.
>
> Do you think it should say `press comma for next match' instead? Though
> that might make the line too long in some cases.  Hm.

Might end up being more confusing if it won't fit into a line, however
`,' would be fewer characters which might help to shorten the line.
If the buffer could go to multiple lines, the length would be less of
an issue.

>>> So, M-x auto-fill-mode RET turns on (or off) auto fill mode.  So what
>>> is the command for turning on (or off) tool-bar mode?
>>
>> and by extension, what do I put in the .emacs file?  Quite clear now
>> how Christopher White's suggestion works.
>
> I don't know what Christopher said, but the following turns on auto-fill
> in all text-like modes:

(tool-bar-mode nil)

does what I wish to happen.

> Yes, I understand.  Hm.  It's hard to explain, but it seems to me
> that after a while, one sees how the Emacs maintainers think and
> from then on it's much easier to find new stuff in Emacs.  So I keep
> trying to give some examples to show what Emacs is like, hoping that
> this will help beyond the concrete example that I'm giving.

That works well with me.  Once I get the feel of the thinking of
thinkers behind it, it becomes simpler.  I'm already less ignorant. :-)