Re: rebind key in a single major mode

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: rebind key in a single major mode
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:21:12 +0100

"Glen Coates" <spam.really.sucks.balls.glen.coates@csiro.au.parse.that.spambot>
writes:

> I've currently got the enter key bound to C-j in all modes because it
> makes indenting so much easier, however, in gdb-mode this means I have to
> hit C-m instead of enter because gdb-mode doesn't recognise C-j as the
> newline character (I think).
>
> What do I need to put in my .emacs in order to rebind enter to C-m for
> gdb-mode only?

Can you show us exactly what you did?  I get confused reading your
description.

Anyhow, (define-key gud-mode-map (kbd "RET") 'something-or-other)
might do the trick.

Hm.

Ah, maybe you did this: (global-set-key (kbd "<return>") (kbd "C-j")).
In that case, I suggest to do (global-set-key (kbd "RET")
'newline-and-indent), instead.  Then RET and C-m and <return> will
behave the same in most modes, except where there is a special binding.
--
Ambibibentists unite!