Emacs reads both DEL and Backspace as DEL

From: Ivan A. Uemlianin
Subject: Emacs reads both DEL and Backspace as DEL
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 16:29:36 +0000

Dear All

I'm running GNU emacs 20.7 on Debian GNU/Linux 3.0

I'm just in the process of writin ga little ~/.emacs file. I haven't been able to find the system default init file (not in /usr/share/emacs or /etc/default), but I wanted to have some different settings.

One change I wanted was to have the '<X|' key (Backspace?) as delete-backward-char and 'Delete' (DEL) as delete-char. However, my emacs reads both of these keys as DEL (detectable with M-x describe-key).

Virtual consoles and other apps treat the keys differently, so I know the issue is with emacs (and not eg the keyboard).

Does anyone have any clues as to what's happening, and what I can do to change it?

Thanks

Ivan

--

Ivan A. Uemlianin, PhD