buffers

From: chris.danx
Subject: buffers
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 02:04:24 +0000

Hi,

I found some code to switch between buffers in the google archives of this group, but on some emacs it doesn't work as expected or rather it does but it goes to "hidden buffers" that don't show up in others. At home (emacs 21.1.1 on mandrake) it works fine, going to/from any buffers open in order but at uni (running rh 7.2 - no emacs version number sorry) some buffers are selected which contain lots of symbols and err, other junk - it's probably not junk but it's incomprehensible to me. I don't know off hand what these buffers are, only that they don't show up at home when cycling through the entire buffer list.

Is there any way to prevent certain buffers from being selected when you cycle through buffers? Are their "hidden buffers" in emacs?

The code is

;switch between buffers
(defalias 'switch-to-next-buffer 'bury-buffer)
(defun switch-to-previous-buffer ()
  "Switches to previous buffer"
  (interactive)
  (switch-to-buffer (nth (- (length (buffer-list)) 1) (buffer-list)))
)

(global-set-key "\C-c\j" 'switch-to-previous-buffer)
(global-set-key "\C-c\k" 'switch-to-next-buffer)

Cheers,
Chris