Re: Emacs mode to do automatic version numbering?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Emacs mode to do automatic version numbering?
Date: 25 Jan 2003 10:38:08 +0100

Andrew Ferrier <andrew.ferrier@uk.ibm.com> writes:

> I'm looking for an Emacs mode that will auto-update a version number
> embedded in a buffer when that buffer is saved (similar to the way
> time-stamp auto-updates a time-stamp). I was wondering if anyone knew of
> such a mode or where one could be found? I've looked all around and
> can't find anything similar. Any help would be appreciated.

Either do like time-stamp and add a write-file-hooks, or add an advice
to save-buffer. This is what I've  done because I have a function that
determines automatically  for all  files what to  update or not  to do
anything from the major mode (the hooks seem to depend on the buffer):

(defadvice save-buffer
  (before my-update-version-save-buffer (&optional ARGS))
  (interactive "p")
  ;;; WARNING: Untested code below:
  (widen)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (when (re-search-forward "^VERSION: \([0-9]+\.[0-9]+\)$" nil t)
    (replace-match (format "%.3f" (+ 0.001 (string-to-number (match-string 1))))
                   t t nil 1))
  )
(ad-activate 'save-buffer)

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
There is a fault in reality. Do not adjust your minds. -- Salman Rushdie